So, what does a week of balmy temperatures mean? Well, among other things:
- Welcome back to the Akiwenzies, who will be coming, with smoked fish, and maybe some frozen or fresh as well.
- Jenny Cook wrote to say that things are growing fast now and Knuckle Down Farm will return next week with their first fresh veggies.
- Pine River Organic Farm is bringing delicious Spinach, Bok Choy, Mixed Greens and Arugula from their greenhouse.
- If we’re lucky, Urban Harvest and Country Meadows will bring some hardy plants along.
- There will be happy faces all round at the market!
Sorry for the mixup in our alternating weeks schedule; Spade & Spoon will be in attendance this time with their many fine preserves and maple syrup, and DeFloured will be back, too.
Best Baa continues their weekly $5 deal with a special on lovely, light, creamy ricotta. Hello cannelloni!
It’s Earth Week, and coming to the market is activism and celebration in one tasty package. Along with eating local and organic food, here are a couple of other things you might like to do:
Bring along your dead batteries so we can pass them on to kids at Dewson school who are learning about protecting the environment. We’ll have a collection box until the end of the month.
Would you like to be a Citizen Scientist? (Sounds pretty cool to me.) Join the Great Sunflower Project and plant a Lemon Queen Sunflower (seeds available from Urban Harvest) along with 100,000 others interested in contributing to knowledge about the effects of pesticides on pollinators. Read all about it here: www.greatsunflower.org Thanks to Ellen Manney for sharing this information.
The three delighted winners of Loyal Eaters gift bags full of good things from the vendors were Steve Leckie, Deborah Hay, and Nada Basar, all long-time supporters of the market. Two of them hadn’t missed a single day all winter.
See you at the market!
This week’s vendors:
Akiwenzies’ Fish & More
Dufferin Park Bakers
Forbes Wild Foods
Marvellous Edibles Farm
Pine River Organic Farm
Spade & Spoon
Ying Ying Soy Food